It’s awards season. Diversity Inc., Fortune, Black Enterprise, disABLED, Hispanic Business, Human Rights Campaign, Working Mother, G.I. Jobs, AARP and other publications are releasing their annual lists of the best companies to work for. The directories are another valuable tool for use in your job search.
To effectively make use of these lists we recommend that you take the following steps:
Determine that the organization uses legitimate selection criteria* and making decisions on the amount advertising dollars spent by a company
Read the website’s rationale for choosing each employer by clicking on the links above
Review the publication’s lists from the previous years to determine a company’s history as an employer of choice
- Research the employer – learn how at Quintessential Careers and job-hunt.org.
- Check out the company’s to website assess its commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Connect with the company’s diversity offices, recruitment programs and employee resource groups
- Network with industry-related professional associations that represent people of diverse backgrounds
Using these strategies can help you identify employment opportunities, determine your fit with the corporate culture, secure interviews, and increase your chances of getting hired.
* How do credible publications chose which companies are the best employers? Robert Bard, publisher of LATINA Style Magazine says that, “to select the annual list of 50 Top Companies for Latinas, we use an extensive and transparent process listed on our website including a 140 question comprehensive survey (developed with the assistance of Catalyst, Working Mother Magazine, U.S. Census, Department of Labor and EEOC), conduct confidential interviews with Latina employees, verify applicant submissions through additional research and an outside review committee. It is a combination of many factors, not just a human resources issue; diversity must translate into all areas of a corporation.”
Bard adds that, “We go to extreme lengths to insure that the Latina Style 50 is unimpeachable. A company cannot buy its way onto the list. The majority of companies that are selected have never advertised with LATINA Style Magazine.”